More in News
To help consumers use fireworks more safely, the Consumer Products Safety Commission offers these recommendations:
* Do not allow young children to play with fire-works under any circumstances. Sparklers, considered by many to be the ideal “safe” firework for the young, burn at very high temperatures and can easily ignite clothing. Children cannot understand the danger involved with fireworks and may not act appropriately in case of emergency.
* Older children should be permitted to use fireworks only under close adult supervision. Do not allow any running or horseplay.
* Set off fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from houses, dry leaves, or grass and other flammable materials.
* Keep a bucket of water nearby for emergencies and for pouring on fireworks that fail to ignite or explode.
* Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
* Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
* Never light fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container.
* Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
* Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
* Check instructions for special storage directions.
* Observe local laws.
* Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
* Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.