More in News
Celebrating the Fourth of July in the River Valley
* Fourth of July celebration at Hosmer Field in Rumford. Begins at 4 p.m. Games for children, lots of music, a 6:30 p.m. magic show (Scot Grassette), many vendors, and the addition of a car show from 5-8 p.m. There will be a shield ceremony at 8:45 p.m. followed by a fireworks display. Rain date is Thursday.
* Demo dual zip lines on Wednesday -- Presented by Envision Rumford! at Hosmer Field from noon to 6 p.m. during the River Valley Fourth of July celebration. The fee will be $5 per ride. The weight range is 70 to 270 pounds and the minimum height is three feet. Harnesses, trolleys (pulleys) and helmets will be provided. There will be a number of adult harnesses and at least one child harness. Releases will be required. Drivers licenses will be needed for proof of age. Adults must sign for minors.
* Traditional bean hole bean supper -- Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Rumford Information Center on Route 2. Sponsored by the University of Maine Cooperative Extension's Master Gardener Volunteers, a benefit for Maine Harvest for Hunger. The baked beans, cooked by the Rumford Fireman's Relief Association will be served with ham, coleslaw, bread and dessert. Cost for the meal is $10 for adults and $6 for seniors (60 and over) and children under 14 years of age.
* Strawberry shortcake night -- 7 p.m. Wednesday, NewFound Road at Skye Theatre Performing Arts Center in South Carthage. Ticket price is $15 at the door.
* Fourth of July concert in Dixfield -- 5-7 p.m. Wednesday by Sammie Angel at the Village Green on Main Street. Free. Rain date is Friday.
* Carthage Old Home Day -- Saturday in the Carthage Town Office area. Rain date is July 8. Parade at 9:30 a.m., with events, games, vendors, music, a barbeque chicken dinner and Model T rides. For more information, call 562-7072.