More in News
New vehicles for Parks, Public Works
RUMFORD -- The Board of Selectmen Thursday unanimously approved new vehicles for the Parks and Public Works departments. In each case, the purchases are replacing old equipment.
Parks is receiving a worksite utility vehicle. The board okayed a recommendation to go with a John Deere at $9,599 from Hammond Tractor of Fairfield, despite the cost being $299 higher than the lowest bid. Town Manager Carlo Puiia said Parks recommended this tractor over a Kubota because of a better turning radius, more horsepower and that it sits higher off the ground; termed a superior machine.
For Public Works, the board selected the lowest of four bids to purchase a half-ton pickup with four-wheel drive for $19,961 (including trade-in) from O'Connor GMC in Augusta. Director Andy Russell this vehicle, which replaces an out of service vehicle, is used for such things as surveying and transporting crews.
Following a re-bid, selectmen approved the lone bid of $601 from the Roxbury ATV Riders Club to sell two gas fryolators, a 36-inch gas griddle, fire hose and pressurized line painter. The minimum bid had been set at $400.
In other business, the board appointed James Windover to a three-year term on the Rumford Planning Board.
This follows action at their July 5 meeting when they made the following appointments:
* Sue Milligan as animal control officer.
* Frank DiConzo to the Board of Appeals and agreed to re-advertise the alternate position.
* Dieter Kreckel, Harold MacDonnell and Christopher Carver to the Finance Committee.
* Carolyn Kennard and Jane Shuck to the library Board of Trustees.
* Stephanie Wilson to the Med-Care Ambulance Board.
* James Thibodeau to the Northern Oxford Regional Solid Waste Board.
* Scott Gauvin and Chris Brennick to the Park and Recreation Commission. Selectman Jeremy Volkernick was the lone dissenter.
* John Blais to the Rumford-Mexico Sewerage Board.
* Selectman Jolene Lovejoy to the Rumford Water District Board; Lovejoy abstained from voting.
* Richard Kent as plumbing inspector.
* David Errington as alternate plumbing inspector.
* Mark Tripp as Sealer of Weights and Measures.