Wind energy In Rumford is a bad idea
To the Editor:
Please contact your Rumford Officials to request a responsible stop to their activities to expedite Wind Energy Facilities on our scenic mountaintops.
It is not a responsible financial or environmental decision. Let’s wait to review the Roxbury experience. What’s the rush? Who wins by rushing? (Only First Wind LLC).
The Case before the Public: The First Wind LLC has proposed to steal the Rumford mountaintops for substantial profit with questionable benefits for Rumford. First Wind’s credibility needs scrutiny.
During the last month of their 15-month ordinance task, the Rumford Selectmen have inappropriately rushed to create and approve a Wind Ordinance that does not provide a proper level of financial and environmental protection.
1. False claims for low property taxes;
2. False claims for retention of local property value;
3. Inappropriate demand for inadequate sound/health protection setbacks;
4. False claims regarding scenic view destruction;
5. False claims regarding wildlife and mountain erosion problems;
6. False claims regarding CO2 emissions;
7. False claims regarding national security;
8. False claims regarding cost of electricity;
9. False claims regarding high-paying permanent jobs;
10. False claims regarding state profitability by selling wind generated electric power;
11. Independent reports questioning First Wind LLC Credibility, trust and financial viability
12. Arrogant behavior by the First Wind LLC (would not answer questions from the public);
13. Rumford Officials do not even know the plan for the location of the turbines. How can they responsibly measure the impact on the residents who live near the proposed wind energy project?
Vote "no" on the ballot for the wind energy ordinance. Send the ordinance back to the selectmen to assign a qualified committee to create a protective Wind Ordinance for their approval. Haste makes waste! The only stakeholder in a rush is The First Wind LLC.
You may contact me via email at Len.Greaney@gmail.com for clarity on any of the above statements.