Economy: Ideas and actions
To the Editor:
The River Valley region was built and prospered on the principal that ideas developed and action taken on those ideas would benefit the citizens.
During the recent Rumford budget discussions, the town officials have stated that they have not received any ideas to reduce cost.
That is preposterous! For years, numerous ideas have been submitted formally and informally, without consideration or action.
One should assume that a steady flow of good ideas would be helpful as we struggle with local budget woes.
The Save Rumford Committee has submitted at least 50 ideas to reduce spending. Other big ideas are on the table for consideration. The following is a process for the Rumford town officials to consider:
Idea and action process:
A. Guidelines for ideas:
1. All submitted ideas shall conform to a need for civility. No personal attacks!
2. The ideas shall relate to economic development, service improvement, efficiency and cost reduction
1. Submit ideas assuming acceptance by the town officials.
2. Expect a reply to each idea within a reasonable time.
C. Town officials:
1. Identify a process to receive and log each idea
2. Identify who will review the idea
3. Identify the acceptance or rejection process
4. Provide a prompt reply identifying an action.
5. Provide serious analysis for big ideas … leading to a plan to implement one or more ideas.
6. Report status of ideas at periodic select board meetings to report actions taken or planned.