More in Police
Hillside Avenue fire claims life
RUMFORD -- A fire at 598 Hillside Ave. on the afternoon of June 26 claimed the life of Dale Pellerin, 47.
Firefighters from five communities responded to the fully-involved structure fire around 2 p.m. at the two-story ranch-style home. The fire was called in by a neighbor.
Pellerin, who was co-owner of Dick's Restaurant in Mexico, was the lone occupant in the home at the time of the fire. He was located in the bathroom.
According to the Fire Marshal's Office, cigarettes were the likely cause of the fire, which started in the living room of the home.
Rumford Police Sgt. Tracey Higley was one of the first to arrive on the scene. After learning a occupant was inside, he tried to make entry from the side door, but was overcome by the intense smoke and heat. He was taken to Rumford Hospital, where he was treated and release. No one else was injured.